Wednesday, April 20, 2011

TABATA Tuesdays!

What is my favorite workout? I can honestly say Tabata intervals.
What's a Tabata interval?
Simple:  its an exercise that is done in 20 second intervals, with 10 seconds of rest, for 4 minutes.

Sounds like it would be easy, right? Push-ups for 20 seconds - no problem, until you do them for 7 more sets, with only a 10 second break in between.

I love the way this workout system works the muscles to exhaustion. I feel I get my best exercise when I can barely lift the 20 pound kettle bell that I started out with. I know one day I will not have a trainer, so today I purchased a Gymboss to use for intervals for running, as well as Tabatas. The Gymboss looks like a little pedometer, but is really a timer that will vibrate or beep, and give you your interval timing. I hope to have it by the weekend (I ordered it) because my trainer leaves for vacation on Friday, and I wont see him again until Wednesday. I would really love to use this over the weekend for running and lifting.

Back to Tabata Intervals...
Last night we did intervals of:
  • TRX rows
  • TRX lunges
  • push-ups
  • deep squats
  • sit-ups
  • reverse crunches
  • medicine ball slams
  • TRX style hack-squats
After that we did 15 minutes of one-minute intervals of
  • 5 TRX rows
  • 10 push-ups
  • 15 deep squats
meaning, at the top of each minute, you do all three exercises, and use the remainder of your minute as rest until the next minute starts.

I can honestly say I am SORE today. TRX bands really push me to the limit. I love using them.
Here is an example of TRX rows:
Sometimes, we do push-ups with TRX bands, like this:

I am really excited to use my Gymboss. If anyone has experience with one, I would love to hear about it!

NEW PHOTO COMING!
It's almost time for a new progress photo. I was planning on posting just before my birthday (the 23rd) as I reach my goal set for my birthday of 25 pounds lost! I was complimented last night on how much I have lost so far, and how noticeable it is from some of the ladies I train with, as well as my trainer. I credit my trainer for my motivation and keeping me working hard and not slacking. I credit the ladies I train with for their comradeship and support. It's so much easier when you work as a team and can cheer each other on.

More later, since I have a double work-out later, and I may be brave and get my fat checked!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the new pictures! I'm so excited for you. Also, I'd be interested to hear what you think of that Gymboss. Sounds interesting! Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barb! I am really excited about Gymboss! I will let you know how it works out.

    ReplyDelete