"Feels great!," I say.
"Fantastic. You are running tonight. A lot." says Jeff.
"Perfect!" I say.
For those who don't know, I tore my LCL a few years back, and have had nothing but trouble with my knee since. I slacked off on working out in general because I was too afraid of knee pain, and re-injury. It wasn't until I started up with Jeff that I started testing the waters, and stopped babying my knee.
I remember a specific conversation in October when I just started boxing with Jeff. He told me all about his knee injuries, and how he had surgery, and recovered just fine. He's running marathons, and seems like his knee is back to normal, so why can't I get over my injury? I had to come to terms with myself that in order for my knee to feel better, I was going to go through some therapy to strengthen my knee (thank you to the most wonderful friend ever, Yolanda, the magical PT), and it would not always feel awesome. It would be work, and work I would have to do on my own, without slacking.
For four weeks I did numerous required exercises per Yolanda, as well as some strengthening with Jeff. One day after boxing, Jeff asked if I wanted to stay and do the BURST workout that was after boxing. Not knowing what I was getting into, I agreed, and later found myself doing an 11 story stair workout. 11 stories, with a semi-bum knee. What was he thinking? What was I thinking? Well, obviously he was thinking "get off your ass and get up those stairs" and I thinking "I am going to blow out my knee." Well, guess who was right?
Jeff was. I managed to do the entire stair climb, without too much trouble, and pain free. I amazed myself. This is when I knew that he was right, and I was wrong. I did baby my knee too much. And, now we are pushing the limits. Deep squats, steps, jumping rope - these things were scary to me in October. VERY scary. Now - jumping rope is old hat, deep squats are FUN, and step workouts? No problem - I'll even carry some kettle bells on those stairs. And, then there is running.
Running. Something I didn't previously enjoy. I did it because I forced myself to do it. I didn't get the runner's high. I started doing personal training with Jeff in February. I needed to lose weight, and knowing that Jeff is aware of my knee issues, I knew I picked the right trainer. I still remember the first time he made me run. It was a whole 1/2 mile. It sucked. I wondered how I would survive the upcoming workouts.
Then, the runs got longer, and longer. I stopped worrying about speed, and what everyone else was doing, or who was ahead of me, and just started running. I started to enjoy it. The runs got longer and longer as the weeks went on. I was encouraged to sign up for a race, and my name was put up on the "race board" at the studio. I have no choice. I'm running. I'm running and enjoying it. I'm running, enjoying it and looking forward to it now at each workout. I don't care anymore if it's cold, or sprinkling out, or windy. I know that running time is mine and no one else's. It does not matter if I am the last one there. It's all about me and my time running. And I am LOVING IT.
Tonight's workout:
WARM UP - 100 jumping jacks, 100 twists, 50 jumping jacks, 50 twists
BOXING:
- bag drills
- mitt drills
- ab drills mixed with punches
- LOTS of "down-ups"
- Run 1600 meters
- clean and press with kettle bell 21 reps each side
- Run 800 meters
- clean and press with kettle bell 21 reps each side
- Run 1600 meters
- TRX rows - 30 reps
- Two handed kettle bell swings - 30 reps
- Run 800 meters
- Repeat from TRX rows 2 times.
It was an excellent night, and I feel good about calling myself a runner.
Very nice! I wish I could go to a trainer, sounds awesome.
ReplyDelete