Monday, April 4, 2011

Mondays are all about meeting the scale

I've said it before, I don't like using the scale as the single most important factor in determining weight loss. I know from personal experience that I can experience no loss on the scale, or even a gain, yet when I get my fat percentage checked there is a significant difference.

I really didn't want to weigh myself today. I am on phase 2 of the diet my trainer has put me on, and the whole idea of adding carbs and fruits and minimal sugars back into my diet was scaring me. I was afraid that I would gain weight. In fact, I expect to gain a few pounds while this adjustment is taking place, and I make a few mistakes in balancing my fat/protein/carb intake at each meal. But to my SURPRISE, I am down another 1.5 pounds! I'll take it!

One of the challenges I am actually having with this new phase of the diet is actually eating enough food. I am trying to make each meal around 300 calories, and then two snacks. I should be at about 1200 calories each day this week. I packed a huge lunch bag today with salad, an apple, grapes, peanuts, pistachios, hummus, and two hard boiled eggs and a small container of salsa. I also have a Met Rx bar (the smaller ones, 19 carbs, 1 g sugar, and 180 calories -- perfect for before my workout actually). I know when I get home later I will eat some egg beaters and have some spinach (or maybe a spinach omelet). and I will still be deficient in calories. I need to do some real planning.

 Today's lunch: 2 hard boiled eggs, yolks removed, and stuffed with three pepper hummus, and a side salad topped with salsa. Now, I know the lettuce is crappy lettuce, but it was free (left over from some function my Mother hosted) and I didn't want it to go bad.

Some of the smaller changes I have made have included using salsa instead of dressing on my salads. It tastes great, adds a lot of flavor, and doesn't give me all that added fat from commercial dressings, and best of all - no pool of oil and vinegar at the bottom of the salad bowl. According to my 40/30/30 diet, I have to have protein at each meal and then balance it with carbs and add a little fat. Without the fat from the dressing, I can now use cheese as my fat (and a little protein), and get my protein from the chicken. It might even allow for a small dollop of sour cream.

QUESTION:  I read this today:  "SWEET! People who eat an oz of candy a day tend to weigh less, have slimmer waistlines, say LSU researchers." I believe it was from Men's Health, either a tweet or Facebook post. I wonder how true it really is?

Monday's workout:
  • boxing drills - 1 hour
  • leg scissor ladder (100, 80, 60, 40, 20)
  • 15 minutes, each minute on the minute do a set of:
    • 5 TRX pulls
    • 10 push-ups
    • 15 jump squats
  • 10 FULL down-ups (to include a push-ups)
  • In sets of 21, 15, and 9:
    • kettle bell thrusters
    • kettle bell swings
  •  20 FULL down-ups
  • Run to Cambourne and back
  • REPEAT from 10 FULL down-ups

No comments:

Post a Comment