Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Exercises that I love to hate...

Eff you turkish get-ups! Definitely an exercise I'm going to love to hate. I know this exercise is a good one, and I will be sore tomorrow, but it was not an easy one to master.  I found an example on YouTube:
I can already tell that my abs are going to feel this in the morning, and I am not looking forward to doing this one again, but I am sure I will.

Tonight's workout went something like this:
  • 20 Turkish get-ups with kettle bell (right side)
  • 50 two handed kettle bell swings
  • 25 squats with kettle bell (right side)
  • 50 two handed kettle bell swings
  • 25 squats with kettle bell (left side)
  • 50 two handed kettle bell swings
  • 20 Turkish get-ups with kettle bell (left side)
  • Run to dead end (~3/4 mile)
  • REPEAT
  • Round of leg scissors 
  • Round of mountain climbers
I used my Nike+ for the dead end runs to check the distance. It really doesn't count as part of my training running program for my race, but it was fun to see how far we run during a workout.

So, yes, I do not like doing the Turkish get-ups. I know we will be incorporating them more into our workouts as they are advancing in difficulty. For the moment I'm going to love to hate it. I used to loathe mountain climbers, and now they seem like a "break" in the middle of a grueling workout. The same goes for down-ups. I used to hate them, but we do them so often, that they seem brainless and time for me to catch my breath. Funny how that happens. A month from now I will probably be loving Turkish get-ups...

GREAT NEWS! I am down another pound today! I only need to lose three more pounds to reach my goal of 25 pounds by my birthday, April 23rd. After that, I begin the process of losing "that last 20 pounds" which is always the toughest! I feel really confident that with the extra training for my race in May that I can ditch that final 20 pounds by the end of June.



6 comments:

  1. I haven't work much with the Kettle ball but I love working with weighted medicine balls especially the ones with bounce to them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We bounce 12 pound medicine balls off the walls, or do ball slams. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm crying just thinking about this workout. I picked up a kettle ball once. Once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hurt everywhere today. Everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kettle bells are awesome... They always give me a killer workout. And Turkish Get-Ups are *no* joke. You're rocking this, Kim! So proud of & happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Alicia! I am determined to be where I was 5 years ago!

    ReplyDelete