Sunday, March 27, 2011

Working for the weekend? Try working out all the weekend.

After my stressful and long Friday night of what will now be known as "shredded tire disaster," getting up early for Saturday morning's workout was a bit of a challenge. I had a blow-out on Woodward on my way home from working out Friday night. When I say blow-out, I mean shredded steel belts sticking out of my tire, along with giant chunks of rubber missing.

My fantastic boyfriend rode his bike from our house in Waterford to rescue me at Long Lake and Woodward, and another friend who was close by also came to my aid. We thought "hey, we'll just put on the spare." Easy peasy.

Two hours later we were calling a tow truck. My car was parked on an incline, and the jack that came with the car was cheap and not really sturdy. The wheel would not come off, and it needed to be whacked, but we were afraid the car would come down on one of us. Sure enough, the tow truck driver put his jack down, and kicked it right off.  2 minute job.  $45.  Home at 11:30PM. Ate dinner at midnight.  2 new tires Saturday. $300.

I ended my Saturday with the worst sinus headache ever, and was sleeping by 7PM. Also, I was on day 3 of no sugar, and even though the tire disaster happened, no one died.  The good news on the "no sugar/carbs" experiment, is that it's only for 10 days and not two weeks. Hallelujah! By next Sunday I will be done, and I will be going to Jalapeno's for a chicken enchilada. YES!

 WORKOUT:
I remember Saturday morning's workout as being completely crazy and hard. I boxed for an hour. I remember doing a series of exercises five times through. It was sort of a blur. There were kettle bells involved, as well as squat thrusts, but sometimes it seems to blur together. But, I managed to remember what I did today (Sunday):
  • 1 hour of boxing drills
  • 200 pounds leg press (10 reps) x5
  • ball crunches (20 reps) x5
  • 90 pound bench presses x5
  • TRX band pulls (10 reps) x5
  • accordion crunches (20 reps) x5
  • Ladder exercises, 10 reps, 9 reps, 8 reps, 7 reps....down to 1 rep each
    • 10 pull ups
    • 10 push ups
    • 10 full sit-ups
  • 2 mile run
Total workout time: ~2 hours.

I need to start taking photos of the chalkboard, which always has our workout "mapped out" for us.


The 2 mile run was unexpected. I think it was a last minute add-on. I did not come prepared, and had to borrow my trainer's sweatshirt so I would not freeze in 28 degree weather in my cap sleeve workout shirt. And, since I did leg presses on Saturday (that I remember, because it was also 200 pounds), I thought I was barely going to make it through the run. For some odd reason I was really able to pick up the pace for about the last 3/4 mile. The official running program at the studio starts soon, and I think it will be really helpful in training for my race, improving speed, and my form. There's only a few months before the 10K in Traverse City! :)

To top off my day, I treated myself to a sugar free, fat free Nutty Buddy from Biggby. Delicious. But don't tell Jeff.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. . . very impressive!!! You Rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I have to start calling you Wonderwoman. I'm still in shock that your boyfriend rode his bike to Long Lake and Woodward?? How many miles is that!??!? You both are klazy i tell ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not that far to Long Lake and Woodward from my house...maybe like 7 miles roughly. That's an easy ride. We cut back to one car several years ago and have not looked back. Tom's a year round cyclist and loves it. Plus look how much we save on gas! That's what started it all when we cut back.

    ReplyDelete