Keeping this journal and tracking my progress is definitely a great idea. It makes me accountable for what I do, and I certainly don’t want to let myself, or anyone reading this down. I keep thinking about this as I resist the temptation for Paczki.
I love a good pastry. I know that I can give up eating candy, and fast food, and anything that I would eat in excess in a heart beat. It’s just food, and there are plenty of other choices out there. BUT – pastries are my weakness, and on the top of the list are Paczki.
Not familiar with Paczki? It’s a Polish tradition of using up all the rich and sweet ingredients prior to lent, creating a giant ball of sweet dough (like a donut, but NOT) and they are usually filled with prunes, or cherries, or custard. They are giant dough balls of goodness, and are very difficult to pass up.
So, how did I overcome this temptation so far today? Well, it’s only 9:30AM, and I have a long way to go. But – I drove past the local coffee shop offering free coffee and donuts. I drove past the local bakery that makes incredible everything; including Paczki (I know this because I had some from this bakery last year. Blueberry to be exact. The memory will live on forever). I got to the office and proceeded to eat my breakfast of an oatmeal and protein bar which is keeping me full. I enjoyed my coffee and my water, and so far so good.
I keep reminding myself of why I am doing this. The reason is because I want to be the best I can be, in the best shape I can be. Even though deep down, one of these delicious dough balls won’t be the end-all, I know I can make better choices, especially if I want a sweet treat. I packed a snicker doodle cookie in my lunch today. That will take care of my sweet tooth, and keep me within my food comfort zone, and still giving me a little treat. I learned a long time ago that depriving one of things makes for a binge later, so I work in the treat in my day, stick to my workout, and I am happy.
One a side note, does anyone watch the show Heavy? I never did before, but got sucked into it last night. Those people are inspiring, and they have real problems and real issues. One lady was a “food hider” and would eat in her car, or keep food in her closet so her husband would not see her eat. I used to do this. Years ago, and I do mean years ago, I would order a pizza and then put the empty box in my trunk to throw away somewhere else so my boyfriend at the time would not know. Even though at the time, I was 45 pounds lighter, in really good shape, and kickboxing 3 hours a night, 4 times a week, I was creating a terrible habit – most likely an emotionally trigger – that was carried on through to my older self. I no longer have those emotional issues, and I have no reason to hide food any more, but I still find myself thinking I have to. Emotional eating formed a habit that I find myself still fighting with time to time.
Anyway, I promise that if I eat Paczki, I won’t hide the bag!
Small steps
every day…

No comments:
Post a Comment