Really.
I got up on Monday after a fun-filled weekend. I was in a GREAT mood as I hopped up on that scale. And then I saw it. THE NUMBER. UP 2. UP 2? How can I be up 2lbs? How is this possible.
Quick think back in my head: I ate within my calorie range; I hate the appropriate ratio of carbs/fat/protein; I exercised with my trainer, including a running program. Where did I go wrong?
I emailed my trainer immediately, and his calm response was "don't worry about it. We will weigh again later. It's fine." At work I went into instant defense mode. I measured all my food. I drank a ton of water. I was not looking forward to weighing in later. I just didn't understand what the problem was. I was doing so well. 13 pounds down in about a month was so incredible.
I got to the studio, and had a fantastic workout. I really "busted ass" as one might say. I ran, I flipped tires, I swung kettle bells. I boxed for an hour. And then it was time to get on the scale. UP 4.7 POUNDS. WHAT? I wanted to cry right there and then. My trainer got out the body fat calculator and the little gadget that you squeeze to measure body fat. This is where the success part comes in. My body fat percentage was down. According to how that calculated out, I was down 6 pounds of fat, and have more lean muscle mass. It's a WIN.
HAPPY HAPPY ME! :)
So now what?
I started "phase 2" of the next 30 days of my workout plan. Included in this plan I start my ramp up of my running program for my upcoming race at the end of May. On Monday night, I ran 2.5 miles, and without knee pain (I had an LCL injury that has been a problem for about 2 years). I am by no means fast, but I am able to keep moving and that is what I care about. I am pretty sure there are folks out there who can walk faster than I can run. I am just really happy to be able to do this without pain. I attribute that to strengthening my legs and hips to help my knee heal.
Strength training has been the most important part of my plan. I do more strength training than anything else, but in circuits. I think, for me, this is absolutely the best way for me to lose weight and become healthy. I can see the difference a month has made, especially in my waist and stomach. Whatever plan you choose for your weight loss, don't bypass the weights! Do the push-ups. You won't regret it.
There's no failure here at all - you're a lean, gorgeous running machine! You keep going, my friend; I'm so, so proud of you!
ReplyDeleteDon't forget, you're building muscle too. And muscle weighs more than fat. At least that's what I tell myself anyway.
ReplyDelete