Day 7 of no sugar and no carbs.
So far, no one has died.
I would not like to do this for any longer. It wasn’t hard. It was actually nice to devour an entire cheese and ham omelet and not worry over the calorie intake. It was especially nice to eat cheese as much as I wanted, and have a hearty spinach salad with chicken and cheese and eggs. On a typical “calorie counting” day, there is no way I would have done any of this.
Negative observations:
- I seem more tired than I should be
- I am a bit “edgy” – maybe because I am tired?
- I am not as “regular” as I used to be. In fact I do not like what this is doing to my digestive system at all
Positive observations:
- Shocking one’s body into weight loss – it definitely did that
- No calorie tracking
- Noticeable belly shrinkage
- Gave me the opportunity to eat a lot of nuts, which are basically one of my favorite foods
This would be something I would do again only if I were desperate. I am sure when one follows Atkins or South Beach, they do drop the weight, but this diet is too difficult to maintain. Many of the studies I have read stated that low carb diets are the hardest to maintain and keep up on, and most will gain sometimes twice as much weight back.
I believe in everything in moderation. I appreciate the kick-start though. I think this will give me an opportunity to take another look at what I was doing/eating prior to this 10 day torture system, and make further adjustments, add more fibrous veggies, and more fruits with natural sugars, as well as eat more “good” carbs (and throw in an occasional cookie now and again).
As someone in their 40’s, taking into consideration metabolism changes is also very important. I did happen upon Jillian Michael’s book on metabolism, and she makes many valid points, especially for women in their 40’s. I will have to dig that book back out and take a good look at the food lists and see what could really be giving me a hassle. Is this a lot of work? YES. But, it’s all worth it in the end. And, once I have this down to a habit, it will be easy.
Long work-out later…
Hey! I was glad to see you post about your blog. I'm starting a 2 week Atkins induction next Wednesday. The scale has been stagnant for awhile and I need a jump start. So, as a short term thing, I think it will be fine, but like you say, I don't think I could do it forever. If you want to check out my blog too, it's http://electricladyband.blogspot.com/
ReplyDelete- Stephanie
Hey Steph! I am heading over to your blog! We can do this journey together. So far I am down 19 pounds. We can provide a shoulder for one another when we need to! Check out some of the workouts I have been posting. They are very very effective. I was working out at the gym for over a year with no difference whatsoever...until now!
ReplyDeleteI think I'm going to do a 2 or 3 week atkins journey. I did atkins before and lost a lot of weight. I started drinking and eating like peeg and put it all back on. I bet if i just went on weight watchers for a while it never would have come back. You know... I've just talked myself into it.
ReplyDelete